It was business as usual at tonight’s regularly scheduled City Council meeting. The big item on Monday’s City Council meeting agenda was whether to allow a conditional use permit for a
City Council, April 4, 2016
Members Absent: Ben Berg, Dave Shomento
Mayor Barney reported on a few events such as the new Firestation opening in SE Minot and a few meetings related to Minot Airforce base and the value it brings to the community.
The City Manager’s Report
City Attorney’s Report
Among the items addressed in the written report were updates on the numerous civil lawsuits pending against the City including the First Western Bank variance lawsuit which is headed to the N.D. Supreme Court, the lawsuit brought residents of NE Minot concerning a special paving district that’s in dispute — oral arguments were heard on the City’s Motion to Dismiss on March 28, no ruling on the Motion has been made. Also, pending approval of the Council, a special prosecutor will be hired to assist in the prosecution of Ward County employee Kelly Dillon. The full legal report can be read here.
City Council considered the report of the Planning Commission. All items were passed on consent agenda. There was no discussion. For a better understanding of the business of the Planning Commission, it may be helpful to view the full agenda which contains more details than the official minutes linked above.
- Adopt a resolution for an Interim Use Permit to Lowe’s Garden Center Inc., represented by Philip Lowe, to place a seasonal retail greenhouse on Krebsbach 2nd Addition, Block 2, less portion platted to Krebsbach 3rd Addition. This will occur annually from April 15 to July 1.
- Adopt a resolution to extend an Interim Use Permit for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, represented by Dwight Clayton, passed in October 2013, to keep a manufactured unit to use as classroom on Marian Heights 3rd Addition, Block 1, Lot 5 until the end of 2016, at which time the expansion project will be completed.
- Adopt a resolution to amend a Conditional Use Permit approved on March 2, 2015, to replace 12’x 30’ Shelter with internal generator with up to four (4) outdoor equipment cabinets on a platform with an external generator and to construct a 159’ communications tower on Minot Prairie Industrial Park, Block 1, Lot 1. It is a continuation of an application by JRJ Land Holding, LLC- Mr. Kovach, represented by Buell Consulting, Inc., – Dave Fischer.
- Prairie Industrial Park, Block 1, Lot 1. It is a continuation of an application by JRJ Land Holding, LLC – Mr. Kovach, represented by Buell Consulting, Inc. Dave Fischer
- Adopt a resolution to amend a Conditional Use Permit approved on March 2, 2015, to replace the 12’ x 30’ shelter with outdoor equipment and a diesel generator and to construct a 89’ communications tower on Amended Plat of Lots 1, 3, 5, & 6, Trestle View 2nd Addition, Lot 5. The application is by Northwest Dakota Cellular of North Dakota LP, dba Verizon Wireless, represented by Buell Consulting, Inc. – David Fischer.
Craig Stein spoke on behalf of a Planning Commission agenda item that was denied at the committee level in the hopes that Council might take up the item. On the recommendation of Mayor Barney, Mr. Stein was directed to appeal the Planning Commission’s previous decision back to the planning commission.
Finance & Improvements
- Proposed Ordinance- Amending the 2016 Annual Budget- Library Security Gates (LIB023)
- Proposed Ordinance- Amending the 2016 Annual Budget- St. Joseph’s Community Health Foundation Grant
- Approval of 2014 Sidewalk Assessments
- Selling of Homes – Flood Buyouts
- Broadway Mill & Overlay Cost Participation and Maintenance Agreement (4180)
- 36th Avenue NW Extension to Broadway Cost Participation and Maintenance Agreement (4071)
- 36th Ave NW Extension to Broadway Engineering Contract Amendment 1 (4071)
- Ordinances on Second Reading
- Contract Amendments- CDM Smith Contracts for CDBG-DR Program Administrator Services
- Pulled for Discussion: Oak Park Bridge Replacement Engineering Contract Amendment 2 (4032)
- Hillcrest Drive Retaining Wall Improvements Approve Plans and Specifications and Call for Bids (4088.1)
- Appointment of Special Assistant City Attorney.
Items 1-9, 11, 12 were passed on consent agenda. Item 10, pulled for a discussion. Alderman Seymour asked why a dirt-fill bridge and culvert was not used. City Engineer Lance Meyer explained that stability issues in the former river channel would have required continual maintenance because of settling. Alderman Lehner then asked what the clearance would be on the bridge in the event boats and recreational uses became possible on that section of closed river channel. Mr. Meyer explained the bridge clearance would remain the same as it is now.
Approvals of note: the approval to repair the retaining wall and relocate utilities on Hillcrest Drive in NE Minot. Total cost of the project is estimated at $2.8 million.
Public Works & Safety
Details on the Public Works & Safety Committee’s recommendations are best learned by viewing the Committee’s agenda and following the links. View it here. Items before the City Council included:
- Award of Bid- 6” Water Pump- Water and Sewer Department (4190 & WS0047)
- Award of Bid- 2016-2017 Household Hazardous Waste (4191)
- 2016 Water Main Replacement (4162)
- Puppy Dog Sewer Phase VI Plans and Specs (3020.5)
- Wastewater Treatment Facility Hydraulic Improvements- Consultant Contract (4202)
- NDDOT Retroreflective Signing Improvements Bid Concurrence (4172)
- Paving District 496 Phase 1 Award of Bid (4092)
- Amendments to City Ordinance Chapter 12
- Ordinances on Second Reading
- North Dakota Department of Emergency Services (NDDES) FY 2016 State Homeland Security Program (SHSP) Regional Response Team Grant
- Ward County and the City of Minot Multi Hazard Mitigation Plan Update
- Contract for Consulting Services for Planning
- 2016 Nuisance Abatement Approve Plans and Specifications and Call for Bids (4198)
- Downtown Infrastructure Improvements Phase 2 Award of Bid; Storm Sewer District 119 Phase 2; Street Lighting District 64 Phase 2 (3608, 3630, 4073)
- City Hall Retaining Wall Report (4088)
All items in the report and recommendations of the Public Works & Safety Committee were passed on consent agenda.
Approvals of Note: Following last week’s allegations of dysfunction within the City’s planning department, the City Manager has recommended the hiring of a consulting firm to assist with planning services. Money for this will come from the un-filled but budgeted staff positions in the Planning Department. Also, Council approved a report from KLJ Engineering on how to stabilize the retaining walls around City Hall and the Auditorium. Estimates for the project are ~$4.1 million; City Council approved the report and in so doing, directed City staff to begin exploring funding and phasing options.
Details on the Airport Committee’s recommendations are easiest learned by viewing the Committee’s agenda. View it here. Items before City Council included:
- Request for Proposal for Security Services
- Application for LEO Grant from TSA
- Request for Proposal Hay Land/Crop
- RFP Arcade in Hold Room
- Airport Director Search Outsourcing – ADK Executive Search
- Engineering, Planning, and Environmental Request for Qualifications
- Grant Proposal Airfield Signage (LED Replacement)
- Proposed Ordinance- Amending the 2016 Annual Budget- Airport Promotions
- Amendment to the Ground Agreement Between Minot International Airport of the City of Minot, North Dakota and P S Properties, LLP for Southside 2nd Addition Lot 1
- Grant Proposal Paint Machine
- Grant Proposal Runway 13-31 Rehabilitation – Additional
- Amendment to Owner-Engineer Agreement – Amendment #3 for Additional Coover Clark & Associates (CCA) Services
- Interim Airport Director Contract
- Old Terminal Demolition Scope Development
All items in the report and recommendations of the Airport Committee were passed on consent agenda.
Of note: Alderman approved using $96,000 in Sales Tax dollars to from the Capital Major Projects to provide security at the airport. Learn more here.
Liquor & Gambling Committee
- Retail Beer and Wine License- Fat Daddy Pizza Co., dba Lucky Dog Grilled Cheese Pub
- Retail Beer and Wine License- Pour House, LLC. dba Pour House
- Administrative Approvals (Raffles
All items in the report and recommendations of the Liquor & Gambling Committee were passed on consent agenda.
Approvals of Note: we’ve got a few new restaurants serving beer headed for downtown Minot. The Pour House will open in the former Sweet & Flour building; the Lucky Dog Grilled Cheese Pub will open on West Central Avenue in the previous space for Big Time Bistro and The Wurst Place.
The Liaison Committee is made up of elected officials from the City of Minot, Ward County, the Park Board and the School Board. They meet a few times a year with the hopes of settling issues that require coordination between our local political subdivisions. Of note: The City of Minot and Ward County will split a fee for 911 services pending Council approval. The full report of the Liaison Committee can be viewed here.
- A required right-of-way will be adjusted down on a proposed development in SW Minot. Learn more here.
- Board of Equalization will meet April 12, 2016 at 6:30 p.m. in the City Council chambers. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss contested property tax valuations.